New Registrations Virginia (License Plates)
To register your car for the first time in the State of Virginia and get your License Plates, you need to:
- Have your vehicle titled in Virginia prior to registration.
Once titled, you need to complete an Application for Registration VSA 14 and :
- Present the Application for Registration VSA14 (completed).
- Present your emissions certificate if your vehicle is garaged in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford, or in the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, or Manassas Park. Motorcycles don’t require to have an emissions inspection.
- Once you have all of the above, to purchase your license plates or decals, you have to certify and proof that the vehicle is covered by the minimum insurance requirements or pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee.
This is the minimum coverage required in Virginia:
- Bodily injury/death of one person $25,000
- Bodily injury/death of two or more persons $50,000
- Property damage $20,000
NOTE: Don’t forget the insurance carrier must be authorized to conduct business in Virginia.
- After you have completed all the steps DMV will issue two license plates, decals showing the expiration date and a registration card.
- You need to place the decals on the plates. The plates go on the front and rear of your vehicle and must be visible.
- In case your vehicle is a tractor truck, semitrailer, motorcycle or trailer, you will only be issue one license plate for the vehicle.
NOTE: It is illegal to have any type of covering on your license plates that can alter or obscures the letters, numbers, decals or the state where the vehicle is registered and when the registration expires.
NOTE: Have the registration card with you everytime you operate the vehicle.