New Driver Ed
Traffic School
Records & Reports
Buying & Selling
Legal Center
Guides & Articles
Express Lane: Coming Soon!
Location: Home » DMV Help » Commercial Licenses » Replacing Lost CDL » FL-Florida
Page Summary: Replacing Lost CDL Licenses

STATE Lost License Procedures

Florida makes it easy to replace a lost, stolen or destroyed drivers license or identification card. If you are out of Florida when it happens, don't worry. They also give you 3 ways to get a Temporary Permit until your license can be replaced.

Replacing a Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Florida Drivers License

If your Florida commercial driver license (CDL) is lost, stolen, destroyed or mutilated, you'll need to apply for a duplicate license in person at your Local Driver License Office. Be prepared to show valid documents (usually a birth certificate and Social Security card) that prove your identity, and pay $10.
Notifying the police is not necessary in the case of lost or destroyed licenses. However, if your license was stolen and you do file a police report, the duplicate license fee will be waived.
Even if your license hasn't been lost or stolen, you may need to apply for a duplicate if you change your address or name, or if the information printed on your license is incorrect. Simply follow the same steps as listed above to receive a replacement. Duplicate CDLs are not obtainable online or by phone or mail at this time.

Back to Top

Obtaining a Temporary Permit

If you are temporarily out-of-state, and want to wait until you return to Florida to get a duplicate driver license, then you can receive a 90-day temporary permit. To request a permit, please write to:

Bureau of Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 92
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0575

Requests can also be processed by calling (850) 617-2000 or by e-mail. Please provide your full name, date of birth, social security number, Florida driver license number and an out-of-state address. There is no fee for the permit. When you return to Florida you can be issued a duplicate driver license at the driver license office.

Back to Top


All must go to a local driver license office and apply for a duplicate. The fee is $10 and you must present proof of legal presence. The fee will be waived for a stolen license if a police report has been filed. Please have a copy of the report with you when applying for the duplicate license.

Back to Top

Military Personnel

Military personnel stationed outside of Florida may apply for a duplicate online by using GoRenew.com or through the mail. Please contact our Customer Service Center at
(850) 617-2000 or by e-mail. A 90-day temporary permit will be mailed to you along with duplicate license instructions.

Back to Top

HAZMAT Replacement

If you have a CDL with an H or X endorsement, you’ll also need to take and pass the hazardous materials knowledge test.  This is a requirement each time you renew.
Finally, you’ll need to go another background check, just like you did when you first applied. Begin at least 30 days before your license expiration date to allow for test processing time. All HAZMAT are valid for four years, and you can renew the license up to one year before it expires.

Back to Top

Renewal Fees

CDL renewal costs $50, plus $5 for each added endorsement. If you are renewing a HAZMAT endorsement, a fee of $91 for the background check will also be required.

Back to Top