ID Card for California
DMV issues ID cards to persons of any age. The ID card looks like a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only. A regular ID card is valid for six years, and a senior citizen ID card is valid for 10 years. To qualify for a senior citizen ID card, you must be age 62 or older.
The steps to obtain a new ID card or a renewal are the same, and include:
- Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
- Completing an application form.
- Having your thumb print taken
- Having your picture taken
- Providing your social security number.
- Verifying your birth date and legal presence.
- Paying the application fee. (No fee for a senior citizen ID card.)